Food glorious food!
We’re really excited here at Roundhouse Towers – our Kitchen Coach Amy who is also a professional cook, is creating some Roundhouse recipes, which we intend to be a regular post here on our blog. Many of our clients will have already met Amy when she visits their bespoke kitchens to demonstrate the state of the art appliances we’ve installed.
The Fulham showroom, where Amy tries out her recipes is regularly filled with the tempting smells of scrummy baking and best of all we get to taste them.
Some of our team are already planning their foodie contributions and we’d welcome any recipes from Roundhouse clients – you can post your recipe here or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org – who knows, one day we may even put them into a Roundhouse cookbook!
DATE, ORANGE AND OAT SLICE
For the date jam:
250g dates, chopped
½ teacup brown sugar (we used jaggery for extra flavour)
½ teacup orange juice
For the oat mix:
1 teacup brown sugar
2 teacups porridge oats
2 teacups self-raising flour
230g butter, cubed
1. First, make the date jam. In a small saucepan, heat the chopped dates, sugar and orange juice together over a medium-low heat until gently simmering. Using the back of a wooden spoon, squash the dates against the side of the pan so that the mix resembles a thick jam consistency. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Now for the oat mix. Combine the sugar, oats and sugar in a mixing bowl and then rub in the cubed butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Line a 20 x 30cm tin with greaseproof paper, and tip half the oat mix in. Spread out and press in to the tin, then spread the cooled date jam over the top. Now crumble up and scatter the remaining oat mix on top of the jam, and firm down slightly.
4. Bake on a Fan setting at 160°C for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
5. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting in to slices and storing in an airtight container for up to a week.
Makes 12 slices