Harissa Chicken & Sweet Potatoes with a Preserved Lemon Dressing
Cooking in a bespoke Roundhouse kitchen is a real pleasure and many of our clients are serious cooks (some are even well known chefs). So, for us it’s especially gratifying when one of our clients gives us a personal recipe.
Amy, the Roundhouse kitchen coach and trained home economist visited one such client, Clare Gaskin, recently and was kindly given a tasty recipe for Harissa Chicken and Sweet Potatoes with a Preserved Lemon Dressing.
Amy tried it out in her own bespoke Roundhouse kitchen and confirmed its deliciousness. Thank you so much to Clare for sharing it – we couldn’t keep it to ourselves, so here it is – we’ll certainly be having chicken tonight!
As ever Amy includes particular instructions for owners of combination ovens; Gaggenau, Siemens and Miele.
Harissa chicken and sweet potato with a preserved lemon dressing (serves 4)
2 tbsp harissa
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts with skin on
4 sweet potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
20g pack of mint, leaves only
20g pack of flat-leaf parsley, leaves only
20g pack of coriander, leaves only
1 large red onion, finely sliced
75g green olives (pitted)
2 preserved lemons
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juice only
1. Preheat oven on Fan 200°C.
2. In a large bowl combine the harissa and olive oil, add the chicken breasts and sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Set the chicken breasts aside on a plate until required later.
3. Tip the sweet potato chunks into a large roasting tray, season well and roast for about 20-25 minutes, turning once half way through.
**Don’t forget that if you have a Combination Microwave, you can speed up this cooking time by adding microwaves to the Fan oven, always pre-heating the oven first –
Gaggenau owners should select 360 Watts microwave and ‘add oven’ at 200°C for 15 minutes
Miele owners should select Fan Plus 200°C with 300 Watts for 20 minutes
Siemens owners should select 3D Hot Air/ Hot Air, (depending on model) at 200°C, and press the button to add 360 Watts microwave, for 15 minutes**
4. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Cut the preserved lemons in half, scoop out the flesh and discard. Finely chop the rind, and whisk together with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Season.
5. Now remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, turn over to brown evenly, place the chicken breasts on top skin-side up, and return to the oven for a further 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
**Don’t forget you can also use Combination Cooking for this part of the recipe too – use a lower wattage than for the potatoes and reduce the time by around 10 minutes from the 25 minutes on Fan only**
6. When cooked, remove from the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes loosely covered with tin foil, before slicing the chicken breasts on the diagonal.
7. Combine the herb leaves together and divide between four shallow bowls, then scatter onion and olives on the top. Next add the sweet potato and top with the sliced chicken breast. Drizzle yoghurt and dressing over the top to serve, and garnish with a herb sprig to serve.